Thursday, May 29, 2008

New Address, Wilmington NC

It's been a 10 days. I could have blogged last week but I was overwhelmed at the amount of stuff I had to write about so, of course, I wrote nothing. I made it to Wilmington and due to some last minute and lucky aligning of the universe I was able to take Friday off (last Friday, the 23rd) so I could take care of some last minute details and hit the road.

My fantastically amazing Cincinnati friends kept offering me delicious food so I had three nights of "last dinners" which was sad but because we broke up into smaller groups I was able to spend time with all of them. And it gave me an excuse to break up the massive house scrub and drink some wine. While I don't mind straightening a house and prefer to keep my house clean-ish I can tell you that I will never be able to fall back on a career as a housekeeper. I'm too happy to sweep a dust bunny back under the couch than actually pick it up. And if you come visit, please don't judge me for the amount of dust on the taller cabinets I can't see.

The reunion with the Captain was everything I hoped for and more. We were staying at his parents for the weekend until the movers came on Monday so pretty much all we did was sleep late, eat tasty but unhealthy foods, take a nap, more food and then a movie or TV if we weren't otherwise "occupied". I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that this isn't just a visit but that I get to see him EVERY day!

Monday the movers came and we stood in the front yard and checked off boxes and directed where things should go. Turns out pale kids like the Captain and myself should not be morons and wear sunscreen. I was wearing a tank top and got a red nose and shoulders but poor Captain got a raging farmer's tan/burn.

Tuesday the Captain and I packed up all the stuff he had at his parent's house and carried it (in the 80 degree weather with humidity) and carried it over to the new house. I really wanted to spend the night that night so we worked on our bedroom and bathroom. The Captain's parents were so sweet to let us (and three wild cats) stay with them but I have to admit there's nothing better than collapsing into your own queen-size bed with your pillows and snuggly husband beside you.

Wednesday the Captain had to go back to work so we would have a little money and I unpacked boxes for about 8 hours straight. I got most things done except for the formal living room which is right now a home for about a million empty boxes and anything we don't know what to do with. We did get internet so yay! That night I met the Captain and some work friends to watch them play beach volleyball. I wanted to make a good impression so I actually did something to my hair and wore a cute outfit. And then I got to the location and it was cold and drizzling and everyone else had gym clothes on. So I met a bunch of new people in a ratty sweatshirt I had in my car and super frizzy hair. At least we were all in the same boat. It was fun and nice to put faces to names the Captain had been talking about for three months.

Today I met the cable guy (yay, tv!) and ran a bunch of errands. We're going to an out-of-town baby shower and then to stay with my parents on Saturday so I needed to get things somewhat organized.

I'm feeling pretty happy about the whole situation and except for a refrigerator that is not getting cold and drips water into a bucket that has to be emptied every 10 hours, the house is great and I have a huge closet.

Next on the list, operation "Find C a job so she stops going to Target and spending all our non-existent money"


Wickedly Scarlett said...

Oh good! I was hoping that you had made it and were just completely wrapped up in the reunion and endless moving in work :) Now, good luck with the job hunt!

L Sass said...

Sigh. As someone who is about to embark on the BEGINNING of a long-distance relationship, I am already yearning for this day.

Glad you're so happy.

Captain Awesome said...

Wait, you're LIVING with me now? I dunno if I can get used to that.