Sunday, February 3, 2008

Female Trouble

Don't worry, it's not about that. You don't have to run away.

I have been thinking a lot about how women treat each other. I know everyone has talked about how women need to be builing each other up instead of tearing each other down but it needs to be repeated and repeated until it actually happens. Women have a hard enough time proving their worth to employers, families, significant others and most importantly themselves. Instead of supporting each other we are catty, hateful and competitive. Growing up in a very female-centric house I was raised to believe that my uterus wouldn't prevent me from doing whatever I wanted to do. I was encouraged to be smart and ambitious. I appreciate all the women who came before me who fought so I could have the rights and priviledges I have today.

Yet I was shown once again this weekend that the "sisterhood" is broken. And please don't think that I'm blameless. I admit to making comments about another woman's clothes, looks, life choices, etc. And it's mostly because I think (at the time) it's funny. This weekend I brought together several friends who did not know each other. Instead of a fun night out it turned into a stupid high-school competition. Instead of acting like the grown-up successful women we are we regressed to sullen pouting children. I'm so disapponted in myself and my gender. I wish I knew how to fix it or had some great advice but I don't.

Sorry but this post is not entertaining or funny. It's actually very cliched and unoriginal. That being said, I hope it makes us realize that together we can make a difference. You don't have to like every woman you come in contact with but just make an effort to respect their lives.

No comments: