Sunday, February 17, 2008

Unplanned Weekend

Saturday night was one of the funnest nights I've had since we moved to Cincinnati. It was completely spontaneous but everything we stumbled onto was awesome.

The evening started out a little frustrating. Liz and I planned to eat at a Jamaican place on the north side of town for dinner. Then we found out they were closing early. Plan One was foiled. Liz is awesome at hearing about new interesting places so when she suggested a new wine bar called Bouquet I was in. Of course the wine bar was in KY (south of town) and it didn't make sense to drive all over the city so we planned to eat dinner there. Liz called to make reservations but they didn't have anything available until 8:30. Plan Two foiled. We decided to just meet near the bar and find something nearby to eat. Then have dessert and wine at the bar. The Cock and Bull is a Irish pub where we got dinner and some beer. Since I've been doing Weight Watchers I haven't really eaten beef so I splurged on a cheeseburger. As usual, Liz and I had great conversation that ranged from politics to mental health to books and more. It wasn't 8:30 but we thought maybe we could sit at the bar at Bouquet.

Bouquet is a georgous little restaurant. The decorations are modern but beautiful and it's very intimate. We did sit at the bar and got some wine. Our friend Laura met us so we had more wine. And what goes great with wine? Four kinds of cheeses! Everything was amazing and they had my favorite bleu cheese Drunken Goat. And then we had more wine. The chef and sous chef were, moving around through the restaurant and we saw them bring some chocolate covered strawberries to a table. They weren't on the menu but we asked and they brought some to us on a plate with edible flowers. And then we had more wine. The restaurant was closing so we left and were walking back to our cars.

Liz and I passed the Cock and Bull and it was bumping. There was a DJ and they were playing some great old songs. I turned to Liz and mentioned I could maybe go in for a minute, she was thinking the same thing so we walked in. Immediately we saw three guys in fake mustaches at the other end of the bar. Of course we had to find out what the story was. Turns out it was their birthdays so they decided to come out wearing fake mustaches. How awesome is that? The bar was a great mix of fun people. Everyone was casual and friendly. So ofter when you go to a bar it's just a meat market of chicks in tube tops and asshole drunk guys. This was the total opposite. Liz and I danced our asses off. And had more beer. By 2 we were tired and hungry. We finished the night in a hole-in-the-wall pizza place.

Today I was hungover, my legs hurt and my hair smelled like smoke. And I've never been happier.

*I wish I had pictures of the mustache guys but we were having too much fun to remember to get a photo.

No comments: