Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day post about Captain Awesome


Captain Awesome and I aren't together this Valentine's Day. It's really ok because we've never really bought into the whole "Hallmark" holiday. We have dinner together almost every night and he randomly brings me presents throughout the year so February 14th isn't different than any other day. We always joke about cards since he thinks they're a waste of money. Every year I try to find the one with the smallest amount of words so he can pretend to read it. And then we laugh. That's what I love the most about the Captain. He can make me laugh harder and more often than anyone I've ever met. I've been trying to figure out what's been missing while we've been apart. Since we've been away no one has made me laugh so hard I can't stand up and tears came to my eyes. No one has made me snort or have to catch my breath because I'm screaming laughing.

The best thing about his humor is how effortless it is. Some people are very jokey or have to make sure you know they told a joke by laughing first. Captain Awesome is naturally witty. Nothing is forced, he just pulls together a word or phrase and turns it perfectly into a joke.

I can't tell a joke to save my life. Usually I end up messing it up completely "No wait, it's gotta be your bull...." trailing off while everyone else stares blankly. The few times I've made him laugh are the proudest of my life. Among every group of his friends he is the funniest. I can't tell you how many co-workers I've met who tell me how hilarious he is. And he's not "that funny guy" because he blends it so perfectly into everyday life.

We have a ridiculous amount of inside jokes. Some are just lines from movies or TV shows that make us laugh. Some are things we've done or said to each other that make us smile. People keep asking me if I miss Captain Awesome and I do. One of the hardest things about being apart is that he is not here to laugh if someone mentions lactose, Paz, Lindsey-chops or bridge inbunkments. No one's yelling PANTS or making jokes about zero degrees Kelvin.


Captain Awesome also has one the top five laughs of all time. It's loud and he laughs with his whole body. No matter what has tickled him, when he laughs, I laugh. Even if I'm mad at him the minute he laughs I can't help laughing too. I love watching TV and movies with him or going to see comedians. I know he'll laugh and that always gets me.
Happy Valentine's Day Captain. I love you and I miss you. Thank you for choosing me to laugh along with for the rest of our lives.

Just a perfect day,
Problems all left alone,
Weekenders on our own.
It's such fun.
Just a perfect day,
You made me forget myself.
I thought I was someone else,
Someone good.

Oh it's such a perfect day, I'm glad I spent it with you.
Oh such a perfect day,
You just keep me hanging on,
You just keep me hanging on.

Lou Reed
Transformer (1972)
Perfect Day

No comments: