Thursday, January 15, 2009

Wordy Wednesday-Inagural Edition

*Just pretend this was posted yesterday to make the title work*

In an effort to get out of this blogging slump/writers block that I seem to have, I'm trying to have an unofficial theme of the day. I know, what a nerd. Let me push up my coke bottle glasses with the tape and shock everyone with the news that I love to read. I read every night before bed and a lot of times at lunch and weekend mornings and while I'm waiting in line and...you get the point. So my plan in to review whatever books I'm reading. I warn you I read a lot of trash (chick-lit, paperback mysteries) but I try to stretch myself sometimes. If this if fun and I don't forget I'll try to make it a weekly thing. Of course I love to hear book suggestions too so comment away!

The Thin Place by Kathryn Davis
Overall Impression: What?
This was a short book and I had read some reviews so it seemed like a good holiday read. I finished this book feeling like I had missed about 4 crucial chapters. I love that each chapter is told from a different character's point of view (even dogs) but the story felt really disjointed and I never really got the point. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt that I just missed some deeper meaning.
Would I read it again: No

The Girl with the Pearl Earring by Tracy Chavalier
Overall Impression: Wow.
Again, a short paperback. I got this at my bookclub's holiday book swap and it got lots of positive reviews. I really enjoyed all parts of this book. It was an amazing glimpse into a short part of one girl's life. The historical descriptions of the city, house and clothes made this even better. Also, the social stigma of going from daughter of respected artisan to daughter of poor artisan to servant to the next stage of her life (I won't spoil it) makes me glad to live where and when I do.
Would I read it again: Yes

Village Affairs by Cassandra Chan
Overall Impression: fun and cute, if you like English mystery novels a la Dorothy Sayers, you will like this
I warned you that I read fluff and this is fluff at it's finest. As a anglophile I loved the descriptions of the country side, village church and local pubs along with the admittedly sterotypical characters. The mystery was intriguing without being impossible to solve and kept my interest.
Would I read it again: Yes, once enough time has passed for me to forget "who dunnit"

No comments: