Thursday, February 28, 2008

I'm Back Baby!

Well I've actually been back since Tuesday but it was late Tuesday and I had work and laundry and....and just back off Internet, I had shit to do. Wow, that hostility came out of nowhere. I'll just use my old standard excuse, I was tired. The trip was great and I got to see Captain Awesome! And the rest of my family. All four days were scheduled really tightly so I could see and do everything. The Captain and I did some "adult" stuff including making some super un-fun but fiscally responsible decisions about the move. (I just re-read that and "adult" stuff sounds dirtier than I meant, although there was some of that too.) Because of bad timing and a shitty housing market we will not be making money on the sale of the current house. Also, the Captain and I may well be the world's worst savers. My amazing 25 year old sister and her fiance just bought a house where she saved the entire down payment in two years. Captain Awesome and I are lucky if we have money left over at the end of the month. We make good money but we also spend spend spend. Anyway, we decided to move back into a small apartment when we get back to NC, get a loan from the credit union, pay off all our debts and get some savings. Woohoo, money discussions. Don't be jealous of my glamorous and exciting life here people. On to the trip recap:
Tuesday-Thursday-clean like crazy, work and get packed. Captain had sent me a list of stuff he needed and I already over pack so my bag was easily 546 pounds. Our realtor set up an open house so had to leave the house in "show" condition. **Quick aside-I always leave the house clean when I go on a trip. I have a weird fear that if I die while away and friends have to come get funeral clothes they will be disgusted at the dirtiness of my house and talk bad about me at the funeral. Yes, I am crazy**
Friday-we had snow and ice over night. Awesome! I had booked my flight out of an airport an hour away to save money. I dug out my car, braved the roads, slogged through the long-term parking lot and got the shuttle to the airport only to find my flight was delayed 2 hours. Of course. And here is where I prove I am an idiot (although in my defense I was SUPER tired). I looked at my ticket and saw a big number indicating my gate. I got there and figured I had some time to kill so I took a cat nap. I woke up about 45 minutes later and noticed I was one of 3 people at the gate. I thought it was kind of weird and then I started noticing other things. The gate was not for the airline I was booked on, the sign did not show my flight and (after looking at my ticket again) I had looked at the seat number instead of the gate number! Shit! So I walked/ran while panicking to the correct gate where I saw my flight was canceled. Shit again! The desk agent was extremely nice but let me know there was no way I was getting to Wilmington, NC that day. I start internally flipping out so I started naming cities in NC where I thought I could get a ride. My parents live in Raleigh and luckily I could get a flight to there but the flight was leaving later that day from the airport 20 minutes from my house.
Once I made it on the plane (many many hours later) it was a nice flight and my dad picked me up. I saw Captain Awesome in person for the first time since Jan. 5th so everything worked out in the end.
Saturday-Bridal shower day! My youngest sister, A, was also in town (for the shower) so I got to hang out with her and the Captain. She is super funny and I miss her a lot. We got dressed and my mom and another friend drove us to the shower. It was fun and the first time all the bridesmaids were together. And there was two kinds of cake! We got back about 4:30 and my dad and I went to the gym. It was warm so we had wine and cheese on the deck and then weren't that hungry so my mom made salad, green beans and mashed potatoes (requested by A) for dinner. Captain was out with friends playing poker and drinking and I was still tired so I passed out about midnight.

So I've realized this is too long of a post so I'm making it a cliff hanger. Stay tuned tomorrow for Sunday and Monday...the drama, the excitement dun-dun-duuuuuunnnnn!

No comments: