Monday, March 3, 2008

See This Movie

I had a very lazy weekend and got caught up on several movies I had DVR'd off the Independent Film Channel. I am not all black turtlenecks and clove cigarette pretentious but they do have some amazing movies on that channel!
First I saw Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. I have not seen Twin Peaks but it seemed cool and this seemed like a great way to get into it.....or not. This is supposed to explain some of the cliffhangers from the show and give more back story. I was COMPLETELY confused the entire time. It was scary and violent and I kind of hated it. But it did make me want to see some of the show to compare to the movie.
Second I saw The Bridge, a documentary by Eric Steel. This was amazing. I was blown away by the camera work, soundtrack and subject matter. It's basically about people who commit suicide by jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge. They interview people left behind and while it's sad it's also very beautiful and touching. It doesn't sugar coat the subject but doesn't glamorize it either. Apparently when it came out it was very controversial because they actually taped people trying or actually jumping. While it was sad I wasn't shocked by it. Add it to your Netflix queue and see what you think.
*While I was writing an ending all I could think of was Reading Rainbow when the kids reviewed the books. They always said "But you don't have to take my word for it" at the end of the reviews which totally fits here but Reading Rainbow and suicide don't seem to mix. Also, I totally wanted to be one of those review kids. I was such a nerd (ok, I still am).

No comments: