Monday, August 4, 2008

Captain Awesom

The Captain has been my rock for as long as I've known him. The last two months have just been awful and we got sucker punched with surprise bills and money/savings got to a scary low number. Since my way of dealing with money problems is lots of hyperventilating and/or pretending the bills don't exist, the Captain has taken on more than his share of worries. But he still makes me laugh and feel loved every day.

I mentioned in my last post that the Captain had knee surgery. He has been dealing with tons of pain along with boredom and insomnia from laying around all day long. He hasn't really complained and has tried to be as helpful as he can on crutches. Pain fills his face and sweat pops out on his forehead when he hobbles around but he still set the table for dinner last night. He cracks jokes and forces me to relax when he can tell I've reached my breaking point.

Although he did everything right, he has to be on crutches another month. He is frustrated and exhausted and in pain. I don't really have a point to this post except I'm sad for him.

Tonight we make his first rehab appointment and he's talking to HR about taking more time off. I'll drag out the hand weights so he can get some activity while sitting. We'll rent some TV seasons so he has something to break up the monotony.

I'm very happy it's just knee surgery and not cancer or some other life threatening disease. But I'm so sorry he has to go through this.

No comments: